Mining inevitably disturbs land. Modern mines reclaim the surface during and after mining is completed, returning the land to useful purposes. Reclaimed mine lands are often more attractive to wildlife and human uses than before mining started.
Sand and gravel mining operations went on in the mid 1950’s at Glacier Sand and Gravel. After reclamation, Chambers Bay Golf Course became home of the 2015 US Open.
Beckman Quarry, San Antonio, TX reclaimed as 6 Flags Amusement Park and La Canterrra shopping center.
Louisville Mega Cavern
The Louisville Crushed Stone Quarry was operated by Ralph Rogers back in 1930's.
Chaney Enterprises reclaimed its Mardis Mine facility into the Renditions Golf Course in Davidsonville, MD.
Coal and Energy
Big Brown Mine
Luminant began mining lignite at the Big Brown Mine, near Fairfield, Texas, in 1971. Since then, over 15,000 acres have been mined and reclaimed.
Pete Dye Golf Club
Pete Dye Golf Club ingeniously weaves former coal mining remnants and rambunctious terrain into a course that tempts and tests you from the opening tee shot to your final putt.
Seneca Coal mine, Routt County, Colorado
Hutchings, Georgia Kaolin Mine
After the kaolin is removed, the land is carefully reclaimed and restored by contouring and grading the surfaces to blend with the surrounding terrain.
Robert Pim Butchart began manufacturing Portland cement from 1888 to 1909 near his birthplace of Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada from the area’s rich limestone deposits.
The complex consists of deep and shallow marsh, wet prairie, and mixed hardwood forest communities providing high quality habitat replacement after mining.
Flambeau Copper-Gold Mine
The approved Reclamation Plan for the Flambeau Project specified that the open pit, upon completion of mining, would be completely backfilled with original rock material that was separated from the ore.
Philmont Boy Scout Camp
Scores of gold mines were excavated in Philmont, and operated into the early 20th century.
Old Works Golf Course
Old Works Golf Course. Anaconda, Mont., had been the home of a copper-smelting facility operated by Anaconda Mining Co. since 1884.